Friday, September 16, 2011

Progress

Today I ordered myself out of bed, something I haven't willed myself to do in months. I got up, got dressed, washed my face and made my bed. That is more than I could have said for the past few weeks. I opened the blinds to let the morning light in. I thought of everything I have been wanting or meaning to do and did them. Slowly, but surely. The list was small and very basic but nonetheless challenging to me.
I cleaned up after the houseplants my green thumb killed. It was ironic. I bought the plants to lighten my mood. It was a desperate attempt to fill this void that I had no understanding of. I spent over $100 dollars just in houseplants that I didn't have enough room for. I never did shake the funk I was in and in consequence all but 1 died. The one that didn't die was my bamboo. I had planted 3 stalks because I had read somewhere that 3 stalks signified happiness. The one thing I was dying to have. It gives me hope that I will find peace and happiness someday.
My room was already tidy as always so I had nothing to worry about there.
Among other things I forced myself to pick up a book. I had the hardest time focusing but I had my mind set on reading at least 1 chapter.
Now I sit here and fulfill one of the items on my to do list. Simple. Basic. A struggle. I write my blog because I hope someone out there reads this and understands. I hope to be of some help to someone. I write to promote understanding. I hope to spread awareness.
Mental disorders can be debilitating but there is hope. Baby steps... One foot in front of the other. One day at a time. One task at a time. It may take a while, but we'll get there soon.

3 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    Baby steps, indeed. But they are steps forward. Hang in there. Remember, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. By now, you must be Wonder Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful young woman! I'm so glad I've got to meet you. Hang in there! If there's anything I can do for you, let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day and every little thing makes a difference. This sort of 'journal' helps you see progress, it is always there (progress that is) but sometimes we get so caught up in 'now' we don't see it. Think about the things that make you smile, just at the moment I am sitting in my family room with the doors open - they promised a warm day and I want to believe it. The sun is shinning and the birds are singing, spring is here. You have lots of people who love you, even though they are geographically far away their hearts are close.

    ReplyDelete