Saturday, July 9, 2011

Surrender

I have a tendency to push people away. I am very good at it. It's what I know how to do. It's my first instinct. My first reaction. People will try and help and I will create a barrier. It goes from us, or a team to me against them. When it comes to fight or flight, I take flight. I run as far as I can. The same happens when I get hurt. I escape. Even as a child, my brain sheltered me when I couldn't run. When there is trouble or chaos I turn and walk away. Denial is my defense. I fought against every cell in my body that yelled for me to book it in the opposite direction. I stayed. I tried to help. I argued with myself daily. But I didn't leave. I had my mini excursions but I came back within 24 hours. I stayed. I did everything I could. As always I failed. I broke it. I pushed and they shoved back. I get it. I do. I probably even deserve it. Every time I try to help it backfires. I hurt more than I help. I offend more than support. I am toxic. So this is my white flag. This is me throwing in the towel. This is me giving up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh c'mon dont give up! Everything happens for a reason and even when you think you arent helping someone you probably are. People shrug off comments but they really do stay with them and they think about them. Giving up does no good. It stops your progess completely. Trust me, I have spend a lot of my life giving up. Everyone falls down sometimes but the difference between the people that make a difference from the ones that dont is the fact that they choose to get back up. You are doing more than you think. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for ya :)

    ReplyDelete